You are here:  House Tour > Upper Rivermont > 3409 Rivermont Ave

3409 Rivermont Ave




zoom

916_5e54cde2899bfbd699ce01d989104acd.JPG


Address:
3409


Property Name:
Oakwood Country Club


Date Built:
1914


Architect:
J. M. B. Lewis


Contractor:
N/A


Function:
Country Club


Style & Architectural Description:
Bungalow/Craftsman. Large 1 1/2-story Bungalow-style fame clubhouse and stucco building with hooded dormers and overhanging hip roof.


Owners:
1914-2010 Oakwood Country Club 2010 Susan N. Morris & Fred C. Howell 2010-Present Oakwood Forever LLC


Anecdotal Information:
The club was originally founded as the Oakwood Gun Club for trapshooting, hunts and horses on a 15-acre tract near Rivermont Park (2900 block of Rivermont). When the members wanted to add a golf course, they purchased the present 100-acre tract at the corner of Rivermont and Link Road. When the club was built in 1914, the Rivermont Streetcar Line had extended out to this, then new, neighborhood. In 1915, the street car line added a spur to take in the newly built Peakland Place subdivsion. Oakwood Country Club's former golf course is curretntly being developed as home sites in a community called The Preserves at Oakwood. The Oakwood Country club demarcates the boundary of the Rivermont Historic District which extends primarily along the avenue to the Rivermont Bridge.




On The Map: