You are here:  House Tour > Upper Rivermont > 2460 Rivermont Ave

2460 Rivermont Ave




zoom

836_upper_2460_rivermont3.jpg


Address:
2460


Property Name:
RMWC President's House


Date Built:
1915


Architect:
McLaughlin & Johnson


Contractor:
N/A


Function:
Single Family


Style & Architectural Description:
Bungalow/Craftsman. 2-story, 3-bay hip-roofed, stuccoed brick ho use with Spanish tile roof and wide overhanging eaves. Windows are tripartite, some with 8/1 sash. Small bracketed hood is over central door. Enclosed porch is on the east side.


Owners:
1915-1953 Randolph-Macon Woman's College 1953-1983 RMWC Trust 1983-1987 Wayne Donald & McGinnis Kaye 1987 George V. & Joanne O. Caylor 1987-1992 Joanne O. Caylor 1992-Present George V. & Joanne O. Caylor


Anecdotal Information:
This building is currently The Residence bed and Breakfast. Interview with Joanne & George Caylor on June 9, 2010: Joanne and George Caylor moved to Lynchburg from Germany in 1987 after reading an article placing Lynchburg as one of the safest cities in the 1980s. They liked the area and eventually settled on buying the home on Rivermont. The house was built in 1915 and used by Randolph-Macon Woman’s College as a home for their presidents starting with William Webb, until 1983 when they sold it. The former president’s house has hosted celebrities such as Pearl S. Buck and Elizabeth Taylor, as well as hosting President Gerald Ford for breakfast. In 1998 the house was turned into The Residence Bed & Breakfast.




On The Map: