You are here:  House Tour > Lower Rivermont > 1018 Rivermont Ave

1018 Rivermont Ave




zoom

1084_lower_1018_rivermont1.jpg


Address:
1018 Rivermont Ave


Property Name:
Rivermont Methodist Church


Date Built:
1897


Architect:
Edward G. Frye


Contractor:
N/A


Function:
Church


Style & Architectural Description:
Romanesque Revival. Large Romanesque Revival-style brick church with gable roof and built on a cruciform plan. Central tower on south facade has open, arched bellfry. Much decorative molded and patterned brickwork is used throughout including a corbel cornice. Later the Holy Trinity Lutheran Chuch and Socttish Rite Temple.


Owners:
1897-Unknown Unknown Owners Unknown-1957 W. T. & Maggie M. Crank 1957-1959 Viola B. Stephenson 1959-2001 Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite of Lynchburg 2001-Present WACA LLC (from city directories until 2014) 1902-1922: Rivermont Methodist Church; 1923-1926: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church; 1927-1952: not listed; 1953: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church; 1954-1955: vacant; 1956-2001: Scottish Rites Temple and Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite of Free Masonry; 2002-2013: not listed; 2014: Immanuel Christian Church


Anecdotal Information:
Lot purchased by Rivermont Methodist Church in 1893 and church completed in 1897, probably to design of architect Edward G. Frye. With the merger of Centenary and Rivermont Methodist Churches in 1920s, church sold to Lutheran congregation, who remained there until 1950s when new church was built on Langhorne Road.




On The Map: