You are here:  House Tour > Upper Rivermont > 3128 Rivermont Ave

3128 Rivermont Ave




zoom

902_upper_3128_rivermont3.jpg


Address:
3128


Property Name:
George M. Jones House


Date Built:
1894


Architect:
Pendleton S. Clark


Contractor:
C. W. Hancock & Sons


Function:
Single Family


Style & Architectural Description:
Classical Revival. Tall 2-story, 4-bay brick house with asymmetrical plan and appearance. Hipped roof has patterned slate shingles. Porch on west 3 bays has 2-story Tuscan columns with classical entablature. Windows have 1/1, 2/2 and multi-light sash. 2-story porch on east is enclosed on second story. Gable-roofed wing is on the rear. Extensive alterations changes this from a Queen Anne-style house to a Classical Revival style.


Owners:
1894-1948 Unknown 1948-1950 Kath L. Saferlovitch 1950-1954 Unknown 1954-1955 Trust Collegiate 1955-1967 Way S. & Virginia W. Mundy Jr. 1967-1972 Virginia W. Mundy 1972-1985 Heber V. & Flo N. Traywick 1985-1999 Grady G. & Dorothy W. Gardner 1999-Present James D. & Eleanor N. Adkins (from city directories until 2014) 1952-1955: Collegiate Community Methodist Church; 1956-1980: residence; 1981: no return; 1982-1983: vacant; 1984-1987: residence; 1988: vacant; 1989: no return; 1990-2013: residence; 2014: not listed


Anecdotal Information:
This home, in its 1894 configuration, was the first Rivermont Avenue home of George and Mary Jones (see Jones Memorial Library at 434). They then built and moved to 456 Rivermont. The extensive alterations to the 1894 Queen Ann included the removal of a tower, replacing the porch with the current 2-story portico, and facing the house with red brick. More recently, this brick has been painted yellow.




On The Map: