You are here:  House Tour > Middle Rivermont > 2424 Rivermont Ave

2424 Rivermont Ave




zoom

1026_middle_2424_rivermont3.jpg


Address:
2424


Property Name:
Rivermont Presbyterian Church


Date Built:
1925/1954/1991


Architect:
Craighill & Cardwell


Contractor:
N/A


Function:
Church


Style & Architectural Description:
Georgian Revival. Tall, 2-story, gable-roofed brick Georgian Colonial-style church with pedimented portico with Ionic columns. Georgian brick and wood steeple rises to a domed cupola. Door has elaborate classical surround. 2-story, 5-bay wing is on the east. The educational wing was built in 1952 and the polygonal reception center was added in 1991.


Owners:
(from city directories until 2014) 1930-2014: Rivermont Presbyterian Church


Anecdotal Information:
Built in 1925, the Rivermont Presbyterian Church replaced an older church on the 1200 block of Rivermont Avenue. That building replaced an even earlier mission chapel established on Daniel's Hill in 1873. Designed by architectural firm of Craighill and Carwel, it is their most prominent work on Rivermont Avenue and a classic example of the Georgian Revival style. It, and several other churches along Rivermont Avenue, are individually eligible for National Register listing.       (click on picture for multiple images)




On The Map: